Book Review + Giveaway Contest
(Contest Ended 3/15/2011)
Affiliate Link Disclosure
This page contains affiliate links to products or services I recommend. If you make a purchase through one of these links, I make a small commission at no additional cost to you. It helps support the content I create here. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Bottom Line: I love this book!
This is my very first book review and blog giveaway. When my friend Chris Wiesinger mentioned he was working on his first book, I wasn’t surprised. I’ve always known great things were in store for Chris. I first heard him speak at a local nursery (The Arbor Gate in Tomball, Texas) in 2006 about heirloom bulbs. I was inspired. He’s passionate about bulbs and it’s contagious. Bulbs are magical. Sometimes hidden, sometimes forgotten, but always a welcome surprise when they appear and burst into bloom… year after year.
My first experience with heirloom bulbs was over 20 years ago when a neighbor handed me a clump of rain lilies (Zephyranthes grandiflora). I had never seen one before. I planted them. They’ve been blooming in my garden during late summer ever since. Through hurricanes and hard freezes – they somehow return. That is what is so special about using bulbs in your garden. In this book, you’ll learn about heirloom bulbs and how to use them to make your garden smile. Chris weaves plant profiles with interesting stories and history – shared with the southern charm of sipping tea on your front porch. If you’ve read the Bulb Hunter blog, you understand what I mean. In this book, Chris takes you with him on his bulb hunting adventures… you’re in for a treat.
This book is the perfect size (square about 10 in x 10 in) to curl up with on your sofa and marvel at the photography and stunning botanical illustrations. The print is large (thank you) and easy to read. The bulbs in this book are organized in groups that make sense for gardeners. Bulbs for most all areas, many areas, and limited areas. You’ll even find a seasonal landscape plan for the famous “Red Cabin” where Chris and his wife Rebecca live.
- Hardcover: 180 pages
- Publisher: Bright Sky Press (February 1, 2011)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 193397995X
- ISBN-13: 978-1933979953
- Product Dimensions: 10.1 x 10.1 x 1 inches
Co-authored with Cherie Foster Colburn and introduction by Dr. Bill Welch. Art by Loela Barry and Johan Kritzinger.
WARNING: The photos and illustrations are so breathtaking….You may be tempted to cut out some of pages for framing! 🙂
Want to read this book? or perhaps give it as a gift to someone special?
Chris has generously offered to provide a signed copy to the winner of this giveaway contest.
How to enter this giveaway:
Mandatory Entry: This must be done.
Visit Southernbulbs.com, look around, and then come back here, and leave a comment to share your favorite heirloom bulb you found on the site. Tell us why it is your favorite. Bloom time, flower size, flower color, etc… You can do this first, last, or somewhere in between, but it must be done in order to win, so why not head over there now and start browsing the bulbs for sale?
Please leave an e-mail address on at least one of your entry comments so I know how to reach you if you win.
Want more chances to win? Complete as many of these things as you want for extra chances to win! Remember to leave a separate comment for each additional entry since each comment will count for one entry in the giveaway. (You’ll notice each comment is assigned a unique number, so the winner will be selected using randomizer.org which selects a number at random.) The more extra entries you complete, the better your chances! If a task is worth more than one entry, please leave a separate comment for each entry. (for instance: “I subscribed to your blog #1” and “I subscribed to your blog #2”).
Remember to leave a comment for each entry you complete.
1. If you win this book, are you keeping it or giving it as a gift? (1 entry)
2. Become a fan of Bulb Hunter on Facebook (2 entries)
3. Post a comment on the Bulb Hunter’s Facebook Wall. (1 entry)
4. Follow me on Twitter and tweet about this giveaway. You can use this tweet: “Win a signed copy of Heirloom Bulbs for Today via @jdelia #Giveaway #BulbHunter (Ends 3/15) https://bit.ly/fGdSYZ” One entry per tweet. Leave the link to your tweet in your comment. (1 entry – you can do up to one tweet per day)
5. Leave a NEW comment on a non-giveaway post on the Bulb Hunter blog (Worth 1 entry per comment, NEW comments only!)
6. Leave a NEW comment on a non-giveaway post on this blog (Worth 1 entry per comment, NEW comments only!)
7. Follow the Bulb Hunter on Twitter (2 entries)
8. Sign up for the Southern Bulb Newsletter on the Bulb Hunter’s blog (2 entries)
9. Subscribe to receive my blog posts via email or reader (2 entries)
10. Become a fan of my Facebook page (2 entries)
11. Make a purchase from Southernbulbs.com — do this and you get TEN additional entries. Yes, TEN! Leave one comment per entry. Let me know what you bought so I can verify if you win.
IMPORTANT: Beneath this posting is the word “Comments.” This is where you’ll put your entries. Only entries on this giveaway post will be counted. This giveaway will end at 10 PM CST on Tuesday, March 15th, 2011. A winner comment number will be drawn using Random.org and I will send an e-mail to the comment author who will have 48 hours to respond or a new winner will be selected. This giveaway is open to readers ages 18+ who are located within the United States.
Good Luck and Happy Gardening!
Make sure you leave your e-mail address in at least one of your comments.
All opinions expressed are my own. Southern Bulbs provided me with a copy of the book to review but that did not influence my opinion. I was not paid to write this review.
UPDATE: Wow! Thanks for all of the comments. I am looking forward to signing and sending a book soon. Chris Wiesinger. 🙂
We have a winner. HouGardenGirl comment # 10 was selected by Random.org.